28 Nov Building a marketing programme to increase footfall
Garstang is an historic market town located between Lancaster and Preston in Lancashire. The town has a strong sense of community and is relatively affluent. A well populated high street (150+ units) and a weekly market bring a high number of visitors, but at other times it can be quiet. There is a strong visitor economy with tourists visiting from nearby caravan parks along with keen cyclists, walkers and boaters with a canal and river nearby.
To market Garstang more effectively to:
- Increase footfall
- Support the visitor economy, building on the existing event-led programme
- Diversify the town’s offer (to visitors)
- Increase the appeal and awareness of the town to local people and visitors
- Increase the appeal of the town to younger people
A wide range of recommendations for projects that will attract more people to the town, encouraging them to stay longer and interact with residents, visitors and businesses. Strategies to bring people together included:
- New markets
- Shop Local Campaigns
- A programme of events for local businesses via the Chamber of Commerce
- Building on the event-led approach to package together local attractions
- A review of travel trade relationships
- A review of all marketing material – consumer, resident and travel trade – in print and online formats.
- A future 12 months strategy